Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pantry Raid

With my first goal in mind: To drastically reduce my food bill and improve my health by losing weight through diet, I perpetrated a pantry raid...not to be confused with a panty raid. What I found was disturbing. I have plenty of items to make meals with - a chili kit, taco seasoning, pasta, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, tuna etc. I also raided my freezer and am embarrassed to admit what I found - ground beef, pork and turkey, pork chops, boneless skinless chicken thighs, frozen meatballs, pizza dough, pot roast I made about a month ago and froze the leftovers. So I'm heading to the store with a short list, some coupons and a plan.

Typically I spend about $100 any time I go to the grocery store. Here's hoping I'm able to spend much less than that. Here are my goals for the next two weeks to cut my food bill and start losing some weight:

1. Eat cereal, oatmeal, or toast for breakfast from my pantry rather than buy a burrito as I normally do
2. Take my lunch - frozen dinner, leftovers, or a sandwich - rather than buy a fast food or cafeteria meal
3. Eat at home as often as possible with the exception of "school" nights when I will use a coupon to pick something up on the way to work.
4. Swap soda for green tea, iced tea, crystal light or water
5. Have healthy snacks at the ready - fruits, veggies, and rice cakes - in order to avoid the vending machine

Wish me luck - I will let you know how my first shopping trip goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment